I’m studying for my Statistics class and need an explanation.
If you have not done so already, download the cell-phones datafile. As always, if you are prompted to login, just close the prompt and continue with the download.
Upload the datafile into StatCrunch. Note: the symbol * in the spreadsheet indicates a missing value; this means that the associated individual did not answer the question.
In 2015 college students at a large state university completed a survey about their academic and personal life. Questions ranged from “How many credits are you registered for this semester?” to “Would you define yourself as a vegetarian?”
The researcher randomly selected 325 students from the university; 312 responded to the survey.
The cell-phone datafile is available in the Data section below.
Once again, here is the research question for this lab.
Based on a recent study, roughly 80% of college students in the U.S. own a smartphone. Is the proportion of smartphone owners lower at this university?
Respond to each of the following in your initial post.
- State your hypotheses in symbolic form and in words. (The following should be clear in your answer: the population of interest and the meaning of the proportion p in terms of the variable Cell.)
- StatCrunch uses a normal model to estimate the P-value probability. Verify that normality conditions are met.
- Use StatCrunch to conduct the hypothesis test. (directions)
Copy and paste the results (the StatCrunch output window) into your initial post.
- Give your P-value and interpret its meaning as a conditional probability.
- State a conclusion that answers the research question. Use a significance level of 5%. (Your answer should include the P-value and reference the population and the variable Cell.)