Do you feel you are an adult? Why or why not? List 5 of the most…
Do you feel you are an adult? Why or why not? List 5 of the most important characteristics you think all adults should have and rank them in order from most to least important. Briefly explain your reasoning for each of these rankings (e.g., explain each characteristic and why you included it where you did in the rankings;).
List of examples to elaborate on by psychologist Arnett:
• Financial independence, no longer living in parent’s
household, not being tied to parents emotionally, making
• Committing to long-term relationships, life commitments,
and having control over emotions.
• Role Transitions
• completing education, getting married, having a child,
purchasing a home
• Norm compliance
• Avoid using drugs, getting drunk, and swearing.
• Biological transitions
• Growing to an adult height
• Chronological transitions
• Reaching the age of 18 or 21.
• Family capacity
• Ability to support and care for a family