Case Study 2: Sigmund Freud
Use Freud’s states of consciousness and stages of psychosexual development to help explain Steve’s behavior by answering the following questions.
1. Does the Freudian perspective indicate that Steve’s relationships with women are internally or externally motivated? Which system of personality is most involved? How?
2. According to Freudian theory, is Steve aware of why he interacts with women on only a sexual basis? Which state of consciousness is most involved in controlling this behavior?
3. What type of Freudian psychic energy motivates Steve’s relationships with women?
4. Which of Freud’s personality types does Steve display? What evidence is there for it? What would have caused it?
5. At what Freudian stage is Steve fixated? What evidence is there of it? Describe the stage and how it contributed to the fixation. What would have caused this fixation?
6. Others might express their behavior differently than Steve if they were fixated at the same stage. Give some examples of how they might behave.