Health Promotion Capstone Project (APA Format)
1. Select a community or marginalized population of interest (Canada). e.g.
· Substance Use
· Communicable diseases
· Adults with Developmental Disabilities
· Mental Health in the Community (*stomp out the stigma with mental health/mindfulness, wellness topics?)
2. Complete an assessment of the community and the population. Refer to the windshield survey tool in your textbook (Stanhope & Lancaster’s Community Health Nursing in Canada. 4th Edition) as a guide for potential questions to consider.
3. Through this assessment, identify ONE current need or gap in services (or resources).
4. Next, create a proposal for a health promotion plan to address this need that is within your scope of practice. The proposal should be approx. 2-3 pages in length, include APA standards and include the following;
· Who is your assigned community and/or population?
· Describe the three core elements (History, Demographics, Values and Beliefs) of your community and or population.
· Describe Perception’s (your populations’ and your own).
· Identify a gap, need, or concern at your agency or within your population.
· What information supports this? How did you determine the need?
· How do you intend to address the health need of your population? ( ie. What is your plan? Write what your plan is in 1-2 sentences.)
· What resources will you need (personnel, equipment, money, etc.)?
· What CHN standard does your plan correspond with? Why?
· How would you deliver the content if no restrictions were in place? (e.g., A lunch and learn, poster presentation, etc)
· What do YOU think is one of the most important roles that CHNs play?
· How do you believe the health promotion provided will benefit the community or population once complete?
5. Final step, complete the creation of your health promotion activity as if you were a nurse assigned to this community and preparing to deliver the content in a Poster or Power point presentation.