Case Study 1: Sigmund Freud
Use Freud’s states of consciousness and stages of psychosexual development to help explain Hank’s behavior by answering the following questions.
1. What personality (or character) type does Hank display according to Freud- ian theory? Provide evidence for your answer. At what stage is Hank fixated, according to the Freudian perspective? Find evidence of fixation in the case study. What would have caused this fixation?
2. Would Freudian theory describe Hank’s eating and argumentative behaviors as being internally or externally motivated? Explain the motivation.
3. Find an example of a Freudian defense mechanism that Hank uses in this case. Explain it.
4. Find an example of regression in the case study. Explain it.
5. Would a Freudian therapist view Hank’s weight problem as a behavioral problem in and of itself or as a symptom of another problem? Explain.
6. What therapeutic techniques would a Freudian therapist, like the one in the case study, likely use? What state of consciousness would be the focus of therapy? How does healing or improvement occur during Freudian therapy